With the online platforms taking a large share of selling, it is good to forearm yourself with trusted online shops. First, there are key elements that will help one determine if an online shop is genuine or not; they include the following:
Factors to indicate genuine online businesses
- The cost of delivery: This is a very key thing, however, the price of the item, the cost of delivering the product is so significant. For instance, I once wanted to buy a chair from one of the leading online shops in Kenya only to later realize that the cost of delivery is triple its price. I counterchecked other online shops and realized I could get a better deal on the same product. Most of the online shops like Sansoko offer free deliveries on most goods in most parts of the country.
- Pricing. This is very important. Fake businesses can try to lure you with too low prices and then after paying they get lost. While it is also true that too expensive prices can mean the business is over-exploitative. I would recommend price research; try to compare prices of other online shops in Kenya and then come up a better one. The validity of an online shop should not be based on pricing online but also other factors that we are discussing.
- Pay on delivery option. A serious business today must establish branches at least in the major cities in Kenya especially in this era of fraud. This is the best feature to separate fake vs real online shops. If an enterprise doesn’t at least have anywhere they can accept free payments upon deliveries, then think twice. Sansoko, for instance, is not big enough yet but we accept payment on delivery on cities like Kisumu, Mombasa, Nakuru, and Kakamega. Other cities are still following.
- Taking long to deliver. Nobody will fancy a shop that takes like two weeks to deliver say a phone from Nairobi to Nakuru. It will leave you on high suspicion.
- A well-maintained website. Sometimes it is not always true but it is easy to fall prey to a conman on social media like Facebook than on a website. The website indicates the business is serious about its investment. If you are a business owner; get a nice built website at CalvinsTech.
- Regular Discounts and Coupons. Genuine business must try to entice customers with coupons and discounts as opposed to fake ones.
In summary; there are a lot of conmen on the internet today lying to you with photos that they own products. They just pic these photos anywhere and post. There a business that can offer free delivery and allow you to pay on delivery should at least be trusted. Take care!